The Orme School accepted its first international student in 1960. Today, Orme embraces international students from around the globe as part of our vibrant school community. For those who are not yet fully competent in speaking or writing English, Orme is dedicated to supporting our international students with highly individualized ESL education and support.
To be admitted to our ESL Program, all applicants must submit test scores from either:
- The Junior TOEFL or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- The iTEP SLATE, (International Test of English Proficiency)
- The SSAT (Secondary School Admissions Test)
- The ISEE (Independent School Entrance Exam)
Orme ESL teachers assess each student’s test scores, the results of a placement test given during Orientation, an informal interview, and a writing sample. After assessment, students are placed in the Intermediate, or Advanced ESL program.
Our ESL Program Goals:
- To prepare our international students to achieve proficiency in the English language.
- To help students develop the skills they need to be immersed in non-ESL classes.
- To prepare students to take the iBT (internet Based Test) version of the TOEFL.
- To qualify for a diploma with successful completion of Advanced ESL and graduation requirements.
Our ESL courses:
ESL II: Intermediate Speaking and Listening
ESL II: Intermediate Grammar
ESL III Advanced Reading and Writing